1/7/14

Avgolemono - Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup Recipe

Avgolemono Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup Recipe, a classic tangy and creamy soup, done in just about 30 minute, just what we need in a cold winter night or any night
Hola Amigos! How is this Polar Vortex treating you? Today was supposed to be back to school after Christmas vacation, but school was cancelled leaving kiddo more time to do this:

With temperatures getting lower literally by the hour, only something hot and creamy will do the trick to bring the body back to an "I'm ready to go outside and do more shoveling" state of mind!
Avgolemono Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup Recipe, when the weather is 0 and below outside you need some good hot tangy soup to warm your body and soul from the inside! #avgolemono #chickensoup #lemon #rice #chicken #soup

This is one of my favorite soups and the I get it every Friday (the only day they prepare it) at the Farmer's Restaurant by my house. I'm not 100% sure my version has all the "magic" ingredients they put on theirs, but is quite close, and will do for as long as we remain snowed in!

You can have it with pita bread on the side or like me, open your oyster crackers and have fun. I always keep a big bag or 2 at home.

My soup has a bit more rice therefore thicker than the Farmer's version, but as you all know, I just love rice, maybe as much as I love chocolate , lol...crazy I  know!


I sure hope you are not part of the 140 million Americans feeling the effects of the "Freeze" as the Weather Channel reports. But if like me you are stuck right in the middle of the whole thing, this is your soup to have! Trust me, you will thank me after several bowls! stay safe, stay warm and remember everything tastes better with a Pinch of Love!
Avgolemono Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup Recipe Tangy Lemon, Creamy Rice and Savory Chicken all in one delicious dish perfect for a snowy night family dinner! #avgolemono #chickensoup #soup #lemon #rice

Besitos,
Lizy

Avgolemono - Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
1 Large Whole Chicken Breast,  Chopped (around 1 1/2-2 cups)
5 Cups Chicken Broth (for more wholesome flavor use the broth where you cook your chicken)
1/2 Cup Rice (I use 3/4 Cup since I like my soup thick and with lots of rice)
1 TBSP Butter or Olive Oil
1 Cup Onion, Diced
1/2 Cup Carrots, Diced 
1/2 Cup Celery, Diced
3 Eggs
1 Large Lemon, Juiced
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt to taste
Lemon slices for garnish
Pita Bread or Oyster Crackers 
Directions:
In a pan, melt the butter on a little bit of oil for it not to burn or heat olive oil alone and saute veggies until onions and celery are translucent, around 5 minutes. Set aside.
On a large pot add chicken broth bring to a simmer and add rice. Cook until rice blooms (opens), add sauteed veggies and chicken. Add red pepper flakes and salt if needed. Keep cooking for flavors to integrate, about 5-10 minutes.
Now comes the tricky part, in a separate bowl beat eggs and while doing this add the lemon juice. Keep the whisking going, now slowly add a ladle at a time of the soup mixture to temper the eggs, you don't want to end with an omelette in you soup. Add one or two ladles full, I don't mind if rice or veggies get into it, the idea is to bring the eggs at the same temp of the soup in the pot.
Pour the egg-lemon mixture into the soup pot keep  mixing  and remove from heat. Serve hot with lemon wedges, oyster crackers or pita bread, enjoy!

Prep Time: 10 Minutes                           Cook Time 30 Minutes                            Serves 6

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you guys went out in it??? No sirrree, not me, I stayed in like the bear that I must be!! lol I did go to the mailbox to try and fix it (which I did) with semi-wet hair. Even though my hair was in a hat and under a hood it froze. Icicle hair!! Crazy funny!! The soup loks good. i'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete