4/12/13

SPAM Loco Moco, Grandma's Recipe

Hola Amigos! It's still raining cats and dogs here and it will be for the rest of the weekend, not complaining, just saying...you all know how I feel about the white stuff so I prefer Rain to Snow anytime!
My creativity levels are down in the dumps and I'm hoping to play with my glue gun soon..till then I'm just cooking up little recipes here and there that make me happy!

For dinner tonight and leftover breakfast tomorrow I'm preparing my Grandma's Loco Moco! Oh yeah baby...nothing more comforting on a rainy afternoon than SPAM!!!...I know...the mystery meat..but once in a while it doesn't hurt! My grandma and my mom use to make this for us once in a while as a treat and it was so good...I could have eaten the whole thing by myself! Exactly what I'm doing today...

This is a house divided though, the hubs is a purist and he likes his Spam just fried, the kids on the other hand go either way, oh and another fact...there is a rule when it comes to SPAM, "you use a can, you replace a can", see, my hubs firmly believes that SPAM is the #1 Survival Food for Doomsday! We will be able to survive for months on Spam and water alone, LOL...I guess It could be worse, right? Anaywhooo...

Here is the super easy, super fast recipe for the tastiest treat ever!

Grandma's Loco Moco with SPAM

1 Can of your favorite SPAM
Half a Large Onion sliced
Half of a Bell Pepper, any color, diced
2 TBSP Tomato Paste
6 oz Diced Tomatoes. I used Rotel with Lime and Cilantro. It's spicy so if you don't like it spicy feel free to  use a different brand.
1 Cup Chicken Broth
Pinch of Sugar, salt, pepper and Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

Cut your spam in stripes and fried in pan until golden outside. Set Aside
In a separate saucepan, with a little bit of oil saute the onions and bell peppers until the onions are transparent. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, pepper and pepper flakes if you choose and cook for another 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thickens.
Add the previously fried Spam to the sauce until is heated up thoroughly.
To serve
1  Cup Jasmine Rice
1 Can Coconut Milk
Salt
Cook your Jazmin rice according to instructions, just replace the amount of water that you usually will used for the coconut milk with salt to taste.
1 Egg, Cooked or Fried
Grilled Pineapple Slices
Listo!

This is so good, salty, spicy and sweet at the same time.

With a cooked egg or fried it's delicious, it's just a matter of how you like them!



You can always serve it with more sauce or like we call it "Sofrito" on the side!

The Jasmine Rice brings the dish together and makes it a satisfying meal for adults and kids!
Thank You for stopping my friends and for sharing a taste of my  homeland comfort food with me today.

 Remember everything tastes better with a Pinch of Love!
Besitos,
Lizy

Wishing a Happy Weekend to folks at these Fabulous Parties:
This and That
The Best Blog Recipes
Savvy Southern Style
Mom's Test Kitchen
With a Blast
The Tumbleweed Contessa
The Dedicated House
A Pinch of Joy
Hun...What's for Dinner
Couponing and Cooking
My Turn (for Us)
Diana Rambles
Sew-licious Home
Your Homebased Mom
Spatulas on Parade
Will Cook for Smiles
The Domestic Fringe
Like on Lakeshore Drive
Frugal Foodie Mama
Judy H-J's Thoughts
Under the Table and Dreaming

12 comments:

  1. We LOVE Spam at our house. I totally grew up on it and don't understand those that don't like it! Love your fancy use of Spam. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a better use for Spam than the memories I have of it in school dinners as fritters! Makes me shudder. Will give this a go as it looks delicious! Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Spam-- and loco moco! This is a very interesting take on it and it looks so good! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this but then again I did not grow up with Spam. My husband loves Spam, he ate it a lot growing up and when he lived in Korea. He will flip over this.
    Pinned it
    Stop back by Swap N Share Sunday next week to see if you are featured.
    Thanks for joining us!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clicking over from The Domestic Fringe. This looks like a great use for Spam! I only had it a few times growing up and it's okay. However, my hubs doesn't like it at all, so I haven't bought it since we've been married (15 yrs.)! I'm sure using it creatively like this, though, pretty much hides what it even is! This recipe is even gluten-free :: yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never eaten Loco Moco but you certainly make me want to try it Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't say I've ever had Spam of Loco Moco, but it sure does look good! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call it Corned Beef in SA, although I am not sure exactly how much "real" beef it contains ;-) Your recipe looks great, Lizy and I would love to try it! {Pinned} Thanks for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy batman that looks amazing! Drooling now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to live in Hawaii, so I am familiar with loco moco!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We ate lots of SPAM growing up but usually mom would put mustard on it and corn flakes and fry it. Thanks for sharing this on Tried and True Recipes.

    ReplyDelete